Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Week 14, Day 1

Well, I'm now in my 14th week and officially in my 2nd trimester. The cold I had last week has pretty much subsided. The morning routine of throwing up continues. Yesterday I had a really bad headache. Those who know me well know that when I get a prolonged headache, even a really slight one, I get really nauseous. The sickest I've been throughout this entire pregnancy was days after i found out that I'm expecting. I had a horrible headache which left me throwing up for days. So, yesterday I even took an extra strength tylenol (doctor okayed) to combat the headache, but it wasn't enough, leaving me to lose both my lunch and dinner. I was kinda worried about these headaches becoming a regular thing. While morning sickness and fatigue tend to subside in the 2nd trimester, headaches and back pains tend to increase. And for me heacache= nausea. I was really worried about what this might mean for me to work. For those who don't know, I work in a hospital in the Food Services department. I am the secretary, so for the most part I sit at a computer desk and type on the computer (food-related things). However, we have faced a lot of cut-backs and lay-offs meaning that those who are left have to pick up the slack for those who are missing. This means that I, as the secretary, am now covering others when they go on their breaks. For an hour a day, in different intervals, I cover in the coffee shop upstairs, running the cash register and making espresso drinks while the main person takes their lunch or 15 minute breaks. In between that, I cover for the lunch rush in the cafeteria for an hour and 15 minutes. When I have a headache, like I did yesterday, I am so nauseous that I can throw up at any given moment. And, as I've stated before, whenever I throw up, I instantly wet my pants if I'm not already in the bathroom. So, not only would I never know where I was going to be at work at any given moment when the nausea hits me, I also have no idea if I'm going to wet my pants or throw up on myself. I just can't even imagine being in the coffee shop and throwing up into the trashcan when someone comes up to order a drink. It's not only disgusting and unsanitary, it's humiliating. So, i feel very uncomfortable with working when I am sick, and I was worried that if headaches become a common symptom, I may be in a precarious position with my job and the amount of maternity leave that I am currently using up.

I woke up this morning still feeling cruddy, mostly due to throwing up once more and not being able to keep anything on my stomach in the last 36 hours. However, the rest of the day, I have felt 100%. I feel totally normal right now, which is probably the first time I've noticeably felt this way in the past 6 weeks.

I have my next appointment one week from today. Oh, I did fail to mention earlier that I have noticed my belly getting bigger. I took all of my measurements the day I found out I was pregnant to see how much bigger I get. Within weeks, I had gained 2 inches in my belly and an inch and half in my bustline. The following weeks there hasn't been much change until I checked again last Friday night. I had a huge dinner and my belly felt SO full. I wanted to see if it was noticeably bigger so I measured it and found I had gained an additional 3 inches. However, the next day and the following days, those inches didn't go away. So, in the past 9+ weeks, I have gained a total of 5 inches in my belly. I haven't measured my bustline to see if it's any bigger yet. And I'm pretty sure my hips haven't really grown at all. The change really isn't that noticeable to people. Jesse told me one day that I looked more pregnant and my cousin said she thought I was getting a baby bump weeks ago. But I don't think that anyone who doesn't know I'm pregnant would assume I was yet. If they are thinking it, they aren't brave enough to say it yet. I'm actually ok with it, though. I was really impatient, thinking at first that I never wanted to go through a fat stage where people didn't know if I was pregnant, but it's going by quickly and doesn't really bother me too much. I know that the weeks are getting fewer and fewer until there's no way I can hide my growing belly. And, in the meanwhile, I can enjoy where I'm at without the discomfort while sleeping or back pain, etc.

I don't think there's too much else going on in my baby world. If you're interested in the other happenenings of my life, check out my family blog where I will soon be posting about my Valentine's Day weekend, and my husband's new band, as well as my nephew's first birthday party.

Oh, and finally, I posted a link on my sidebar for those who want to participate on a baby pool. You can guess the baby's gender up until the day I have my ultrasound (in about 6 weeks) when I announce the correct answer. And you can click on the link below that to guess when the baby will be born, its weight and height. You'll have to wait until August to find out who was closest on that, though. I figured it's a fun way to pass these weeks where we don't know anything! Enjoy!!!

3 comments:

Mrs. Hammer said...

Oh you poor thing. I feel so bad for you having to work with the fear of getting sick in a very public place. Sounds like you need prayer for this "100% headache free period" to last a bit longer.

Jen&Carter said...

I am so sorry that you are not feeling so good. Those Headaches are not fun. I dealt with migraine for 5 weeks after I found out I was pregnant. Hang in there. It is all worth it in the end.

Anonymous said...

okay. so i voted. and even though i want you to have a girl, for some reason i voted boy. little voice in my head.
love, katelyn