2010, however, I felt like Jesse and I were at odds the majority of the time. I can't tell you how many times I thought this year, "Are we really going to make it?" We've always said that divorce is never an option, but I realized this year how easily it becomes an option when you're feeling unloved and disrespected- when you view your spouse as more of a roommate than a lover. We were struggling in every area of our lives:
My daycare business was often unsuccessful, whether it was because my clients flaked out on me or because they were struggling financially themselves and didn't pay me, or even because at times I was overwhelmed with clients and wrestled to find a balance. Jesse lacked serious direction about going to school and possible majors. He'd enroll in a term only to end up frustrated and quitting. And, in the meanwhile, he went back and forth in his feelings about his job, often hating it and feeling like there were no other options. The financial aid was beneficial at the time, but because his schooling never went anywhere, that aid became only future debt with temporary benefits. We both found ourselves immersed in our own hobbies and we butted heads about how to divide our time between caring for Josiah and our own interests. We tried numerous assistance programs, but fell short of the income needed to pay for our house and ended up putting it up for sale to avoid foreclosure. The stress of all of those things drove us apart. We felt like we weren't seeing eye-to-eye on anything. And rather than leaning on each other for support, we pushed each other away. Anger and bitterness turned to lies and deceit, which perpetuated the anger and bitterness. Don't get me wrong. We had good moments. But for weeks at a time I'd feel at odds with Jesse and only have days of peace and love with him in between. All hell broke loose, so to speak, one night, as feelings of resentment and distance and outright not liking each other came to the surface. We talked about why we had ever gotten married in the first place and where each of us had gone wrong. And then we sought to make amends. We started going to a new church (the old one being a source of contention between us). We started marriage counseling, took a marriage seminar through the new church, spent date nights together, and worked on compromising with each other. And, as the year comes to a close, I feel like we're on the right track.
Our house still is for sale with no interested buyers. It'll likely foreclose in the upcoming months, leading to a move, but we have no date set at this point. Jesse is still working his job, although at this point he seems to be content with it. My daycare business is the worst it's ever been, but we're making ends meet because God is faithful and always provides. In the meanwhile, I'm working on building up my craft business with plans to still get certified this year as an event planner. Very little of our actual circumstances have changed, but our attitudes toward each other are ones of trying to act in love.
I have a whole list of things I'm excited about accomplishing in the next year. I want to grow in my relationship with God. And, in the midst of that, He's teaching me a lot about giving generously to others, blessing them with His love. I want to grow in my relationship with Jesse, with a lot less of those questions like, "Are we really going to make it?" and a lot more of "This is why I married this guy!". I'm sure there are going to be changes in our house and jobs and I look forward to new possibilities.
I welcome 2011 with open arms, and I hope to be sharing more about my precious
5 comments:
We sound like we have a lot in common, though I'm considerably older than you :) I too run a daycare and can relate to everything you say about that. The holidays are very bad when it comes to people flaking out on us.
Marriage wise, I can totally understand that as well. I haven't been through infertility. But I have been through repeated miscarriages.
I too am trying to get closer to God, always really :) Can we ever be too close or even close enough? I've been listening to Gloria and Kenneth Copeland online. They are very inspiring. If you ever want to chat, please email away. The email address I most often answer to is smcmullen@kc.rr.com
My blog is: www.kidsandfids.blogspot.com
What a trying year it has been! I wish you the best in 2011, I will keep you in my prayers for things to start turning around. Keep the faith going, God is great and will take care of you. Big hug!
Wishing you a happy and healthy new year!
I'm so sorry you had to go through a difficult year. But you have taken such great strides in assuring that your family is in a better place as the new year begins. I hope that the new year brings blessings into your life!
WOW! Sounds like 2010 was no picnic for you at all! The attitude you have however should help in making 2011 even better. If I lived in Springfield or even worked up there I would be more than happy to have you watch Selena for me. If my current place of employment can't work with me and keeps me on nights, I may be looking for another job. Perhaps if I get one up that way, we can work something out. Looking forward to seeing you, your Mom, and that handsome little man of your's tomorrow!
This is Jenna. Come check out my blog!!!
http://wannabelawyergirl.blogspot.com
Post a Comment