Big Change #1: We're getting healthy!
Almost 2 months ago, my brother David began doing the Paleo diet. My understanding, in the most simplified form, is that it's going back to the way they ate during "caveman times". This means, all natural, unprocessed foods. Think: meats, fruits, veggies, nuts, etc. About 3 weeks ago, Jesse joined David in the diet. David also began working out at this gym (CrossFit) and after going for awhile, David found out that the owner needed some people who would be willing to clean the gym in exchange for free workouts. This worked perfectly for us! Jesse would only have to clean the gym for 5 hours a month (totally do-able!) in exchange for 3 workouts a week (which is plenty!). I knew how much Jesse has wanted a gym membership and this not only was the only way we could afford it, but it's a GREAT deal regardless! Once both boys were eating healthy and working out, the peer pressure began! Oh man!!! I LOVE my food, and the idea of being deprived of the treats I love just makes me sad/angry/frustrated. Being overweight, "they" normally say you either eat emotionally, out of boredom, or excessively. I don't think I do any of the above. But I do VERY MUCH see food as a social activity. Eating out is something I do with friends for fun. And, while I may not eat excessively, I eat really unhealthy things. I live with a Mountain Dew in my hands at all times. I'd be happy to eat fast food everyday if I could afford it. My staple meals in the house have to be microwaved, most often including mac 'n cheese and spaghettio's. So, it's junk. And even though my weight has always been an issue for me, I've come to a point of finally accepting who I am and being content with it. I don't always like what I see in the mirror, but I don't hide in the background anymore or fear as much what people think of me. I'm glad to be in that place, but I would love to actually be PROUD of how I look, and, more importantly, be healthy for my kids. I want them to learn good eating habits and to not struggle in school with low self-esteem. And I want to be able to run with them and actively play without getting winded or not being able to keep up. However, I can't just say I'm going to eat healthier or cut down on certain things. I need a plan to follow. My brother first offered to come up with one for me to follow as a birthday present to him. I reluctantly agreed, but he never actually came up with anything. Then my mom asked me if I would be willing to do Weight Watchers with her, which I was really excited about. So, last Sunday, my mom and I joined the "get fit" trend and joined WW online. I've been doing great these first 5 days. I think I'm down about 7 lbs, but my official weigh-in is on Sunday. My first goal is to lose 10 lbs and my ultimate goal is to lose 70 lbs. Anything in addition to that is just bonus! So big changes in that respect and I'm looking forward to my whole family being healthier AND skinnier!
Big Change #2: Jesse's schooling... UGH!
If it's not one thing, it's another. So, after the drama with LCC suspending Jesse's financial aid for a reason that Jesse was never forewarned of, and then being told his appeal was denied when it wasn't, resulting in us losing his financial aid, Jesse walked away from LCC and decided to attend Linfield College instead. He found out all of the information, applied, registered for classes, and everything seemed like it was going to be great. The only uncertainty was his financial aid, but he filled out the proper paperwork to have his financial aid transferred to Linfield instead. We were hoping for a refund with the excess financial aid (as we've always gotten from LCC), but knowing that Linfield was more expensive, we weren't sure how everything would pan out. Turns out that 13 credits at LCC was about $1300 when 8 credits at Linfield was over $3000! And when Jesse received his award yesterday, he was informed that we were getting around $1300, which didn't even cover half of the $3000 owed! Ugh!!! We just aren't in a position to add another payment to our bills, but I really didn't want Jesse to give up on school just because of this. Linfield said the reason for such a low award was because the financial aid he received at LCC overlapped his financial aid from Linfield. But Jesse disputed this saying that Fall term ended in December and he's starting in Linfield in February, so an overlap is impossible. They agreed, but said he needed verification from LCC that he truly didn't receive financial aid in Winter before it could be fixed. That's on his to-do list for today, but this put a hitch in all of his plans. And, if, after correcting the error, we still don't get enough money, he has no choice but to quit.
Big Change #3: New careers? Maybe even moving?
When everything got complicated with Jesse's schooling again, we began to consider what other options we may have if school does not work out. Jesse has a good and stable job, and I don't think him finding a new job is really a good option. There's the possibility of him getting a 2nd job, but I feel terrible about putting that much pressure on him and for the amount of time he'd be missing from our family. So, the next possibility is for me to consider addition sources of income. This is not easy to do since me working would require childcare for our children. If I had set hours, we could arrange for daycare, but unstable hours would make it too complicated, I believe. Furthermore, depending on how much I'd make and the hours I'd work, we may end up spending more on daycare than it's worth for me to work. I could also work in the evenings when Jesse would be home and daycare wouldn't be an issue, but it means we would see each other a lot less often too. So, I browsed Craigslist and came up with 5 job opportunities that I plan to apply for:
- Assistant Property Manager- this would mean that our family would move to a 3 bedroom townhouse in our city and I would help the apartment manager with office work and management needs. We'd get free rent and part of our utilities paid, saving us up to $800 a month! That's in exchange for my work, so I wouldn't be paid in addition to the free rent. No big deal. I believe it's about equal and covers our needs anyways! I'd also be able to work from home. I'm unsure about the hours, other than they're part-time, and how they would affect me taking care of my sons, but in that case we could afford childcare easily! I could even hire someone to be in my house with me during the day to help watch the boys if I have to run an errand. I emailed the complex to find out where exactly they are (I have to make sure it's not an unsafe neighborhood) and how the job may work with my kids, but am still waiting to hear back.
- Office Janitorial job- I would work as part of a team that cleans an office building. I'd work Mon-Fri from 5:30pm to 9:30pm. Very set hours, in the evening, and Jesse would always be home to watch the kids. So I'd never have to worry about childcare. Not bad at all, although I'd miss my family being together at night. But definitely worth applying for.
- Women's Boutique- seems like a very fun store. I have great customer service skills and retail experience, but not specifically apparel retail. I am a woman, though! It's part-time. I'd just need to know about hours to arrange daycare.
- Office Assistant for property management company- I'm extremely qualified for office work. Just need to apply and see...
- Attendant/Lead Attendant at mini-golf course- this is owned by the same organization I used to work for when I worked in the after-school program. I think I can definitely do the job. I do believe it'd be seasonal, though (through the summer). It could be part-time or full-time depending on if I'm the lead or not. And it pays well.
(Depending on the job, I could also continue doing daycare for Jaydon and Zoe too)
Also, I posted about looking for a job on Facebook and got a few recommendations from my friends. Several people mentioned selling my crafts, both in Etsy and in stores, which I've done a bit of and considered doing more of. In March, my MOPS group is going to do a home business expo where the moms can share the businesses they do from their home (things like selling cleaning supplies, Avon/Mary Kay, and even my craft stuff). I'm hoping to have enough crafts completed to set up a table. This expo will allow me to talk to other moms who have home-based businesses as well and get some advice. And I'd be able to advertise my stuff and see what level of interest there may be in my crafts. THEN... I got an email from a girl who was my admission counselor when I enrolled in college 9 years ago! She had seen my crafts on facebook and works for a gift store in a nearby town and wanted to show my stuff to her boss. I may be able to sell some of my stuff in her store! I have replied to her and sent pictures of my stuff for her to show her boss. Now I just wait to see what she says. And, if nothing else, I'm hoping that her boss can give me some insight about the sell-ability of my crafts, maybe what they're worth or what degree of interest patrons may have.
Overwhelmed yet? I am!!! Now, I've got to update my resume, write cover letters, buy some interview clothes (maybe), and start preparing myself for some big changes all around! Please be praying for my family as we seek God's direction and strive to go forward, both physically and financially.
2 comments:
How very exciting for you, Mandy! Sounds like lots of great opportunities and changes headed your way! :) What a blessing!
Apartment managing has saved us BIG time! I am able to run a complex of 50 units by myself while watching my two boys all week and we still get out to the park and have them in swim lessons during the day, etc. You just have to work around your schedule and be organized... it has been the only way we could make it and while John was in school and after to pay off student loans while John was fresh out of college and until he starts getting promotions. It has been a huge blessing and we will probably be doing it another year or so. Good luck! Hope it all works out for you!
Post a Comment