I think names are VERY important. In the Bible, when God did something major in someone's life, He changed their name. He made Abram (high father) to Abraham (father of nations) when he took a man who was infertile and gave him a son who would bring forth generations of God's people. He made Jacob (deceiver) to Israel (God contended) after he wrestled with God. He changed Saul (prayed for) to Paul (small one) when He humbled this man and made him a servant of His word. In my own life, I have seen how God has revealed to me the meaning behind my own name. For much of my life, I felt insignificant. I felt that I wasn't good enough, wasn't smart enough, wasn't pretty enough, skinny enough, tall enough, short enough, artistic enough, funny enough, or popular enough to be loved. I wondered if I'd ever get married- who could possibly WANT to be with me?! There was a lot that God showed me during the recent years, but one part of it is that the meaning of my name is "Worthy of Love". I am His child and to think that I don't deserve love is to believe that He did something wrong when He created me this way.
So, I hope that those of you who read this find the meanings in your own situation. If you are pregnant now, and have already chosen your baby's name, what meanings behind that name are things that you can pray and speak over your precious child? These can be literal meanings in the origin of the name or implications of that name. If you are not pregnant but have thought of future names, what implications could these names have? I know that even while going through infertility, I already chose the names I wanted for my future baby and chose to call my future babies by those names (even making emblems for them as a profession of faith that they would one day exist). I even know someone else on these blogs who is praying over her future children by names even though she is not pregnant now.
Please share with me any of your thoughts or, if you are so inspired, write your own blog about it so I can join you in professing those things over your children (future or current). So, here's the letter:
I love the name you have picked for your son. There is some debate over the meaning of Josiah, but my favorite can be found athttp://www.babynamespedia.com/meaning/Josiah when I saw the name you picked, it had come up in my previous baby name searches when we were pregnant, because it means, The Lord healed me. And I thought, how appropriate with your story, that your baby's name rings true of God's beautiful grace and how he miraculously gave you your son.
I am so thrilled for the life you are bringing into the world, and I am thrilled at how God's hand is so blatantly obvious on this child's life.
Through other meanings of Josiah, you find "The Fire of God" and David meaning, beloved of Friend of God, or God's favored one. I love that. Every time you call your son, you are speaking life over him, you are speaking into him that he will be a passionate leader for Christ, that he is God's chosen and anointed child of God, that he is blessed and highly favored, and that he will grow in wisdom, in stature and favor with God and man just as Jesus did. I believe that your son, through your and your husbands prayers for him, and dedication to raise him up in the ways of God, will be a force to be reconed with for the Kingdom of God. I believe he will be a great and mighty leader, and he will be your proclamation every time you call out his name, that the Lord healed you, opened your womb and gave you a son.
I am so thrilled for the life you are bringing into the world, and I am thrilled at how God's hand is so blatantly obvious on this child's life.
Through other meanings of Josiah, you find "The Fire of God" and David meaning, beloved of Friend of God, or God's favored one. I love that. Every time you call your son, you are speaking life over him, you are speaking into him that he will be a passionate leader for Christ, that he is God's chosen and anointed child of God, that he is blessed and highly favored, and that he will grow in wisdom, in stature and favor with God and man just as Jesus did. I believe that your son, through your and your husbands prayers for him, and dedication to raise him up in the ways of God, will be a force to be reconed with for the Kingdom of God. I believe he will be a great and mighty leader, and he will be your proclamation every time you call out his name, that the Lord healed you, opened your womb and gave you a son.
6 comments:
I have always adored the name JOSIAH, but until you posted the meaning a couple of days ago... I never knew what it meant. Since we knew our 1st son would be named after my husband, it would either be Nick Josiah or Elias Nick. We are going w/ ELIAS (which means my God is Yahweh) & I am already praying that God will, in HIS POWER, allow us to have a second son to name Josiah. What a testament to His work in our lives.
Love the blog... found you through Nity's! :)
Hi! I found you on Kelly’s Korner. I love your blog! This post was great! I just wanted to let you know about my blog giveaway to benefit baby Stellan and his family. Check out my blog for all the details!
We have all of the names we like in an excel spreadsheet and the meaning of each off to the side. The meaning of our children's names is a HUGE deal to us. I totally agree with your post!
That is awesome Mandy, thank you for sharing that. She is right Josiah is a perfect name :)
Oh, that's beautiful! Beautiful. I think we need to get cracking on the names - we like strong names and a lot of them are taken!
Thats a great name, I love it.
I need to thank you so much for your post today, it made me raise my hands to the Lord and remember that he is here to protect me and guide me. I know the fear is just the Devil's way of challenging what I know is true...that this baby is meant for me :)
Post a Comment