Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The Hard Days

I'm still working on writing the blog to describe the birth of Josiah and the events of the past 11 days (I can't believe it's gone by so fast!), but I wanted to write this right now.

Today has been a tough day. Most days have been going well, but today has been really hard. I'll go into more detail later, but between difficulty in breastfeeding and trying to pump and getting Josiah to sleep in his own crib, I only slept for 1 hour at a time last night, for an accumulative of 3 hours by the time that 6:00 am rolled around. Between 6 and 9, I got another 3 hours, but that's where it stopped. By noon, I hadn't showered. I hadn't had anything to eat. I hadn't had anything to drink. And I barely had any sleep. I was lying in bed with Josiah and couldn't get him to stay settled long enough for me to get any rest. He kept dropping his pacifier until the pacifier wouldn't satisfy him any more, and with no more rest, I had to drag myself out of bed to feed him once again. It was one of those moments that, in complete desperation, you literally say a prayer and ask God to please make your baby hold on to his pacifier or sleep or something! I was so angry, but I couldn't be mad at this precious little baby in my arms. He is my answer to prayers, even in the hardest moments, and he has no idea how difficult he is being for me. He's just responding to his environment. So I held him closely feeding him and just cried. Tears pouring down my cheeks. I finally composed myself, laid him down as he slept, and began doing ome things that I needed to do (like making lunch). About an hour later, as he was lying in his boppy pillow, he pulled his arm up and, in turn, pulled the blanket over his face. So, I reached over and pulled the blanket down from his face only to find the biggest grin across his face. I don't care that he was sleeping. I don't care that it was probably just gas and didn't mean anything. It brought a huge smile across my face. For me, it meant the world. I went through a lot to get here and it was all for this little boy.

9 comments:

Carina & Dan said...

agreed, it's not always easy but it is totally worth it. you mentioned that you are having some difficulty with breastfeeding? i did too. she had trouble latching on. i used a silicone nipple shield(from the hospital) for the first few months & it was a huge lifesaver.

Marcia (123 blog) said...

Oh Mandy he is gorgeous! Gorgeous :)

But I know oh too well the frustration when you've just had enough.

thinking of you...

Jill said...

He is such a pretty baby!!

I'm sorry you're not getting any sleep and breastfeeding has been hard. I'll be praying for you and your baby boy...that things will get easier soon.

((hugs))

Shanny said...

Oh my gosh he is precious, congratulations!

I hope things get easier, I'll be thinking of you my dear ((hugs))

The Grahams said...

Hang in there!! There will be plenty of days like that unfortunately, but once you get them on a good schedule and used to their new little world, it does get easier! Have you already tried swaddling him and turning on a fan next to him while he is sleeping? They love the white noise and sometimes they will fight the swaddling, but then they sleep longer if you do it real tight and then they realize they love it. And those vibrating bouncy seats were a lifesaver for us with jackson those first 2 weeks... it was all he would sleep in! Good luck! Hope you get more sleep!

Brittney said...

What a beautiful, precious, precious new son you have. I am SO happy for you! But I am so sorry you're having such a difficult time so far. Though I'm not a Mom yet I've heard it does get easier. Hang in there. ((HUGS))

Melody said...

*hugs* Tears are ok. Don't be afraid to let them flow. It's amazing how healing and comforting tears can be. Hang in there. Sleep will come for you all eventually. Be sure and eat and drink like you should though. It will help your breastfeeding.

Marcia (123 blog) said...

Mandy, I just hate internals - gross. And they usually hurt for me - i think it's the endometriosis.

P.S> you need to check your email box in your blogger profile

Hua said...

Hi Mandy!

Great blog post. That is such a cute story! I really enjoyed reading your blog and learning about Pregnancy & Fertility. With your positive outlook on life, I feel that your blog would be a great addition to Wellsphere's HealthBlogger Network (HBN). The HBN has over 2,600 bloggers that share a common goal to share their knowledge with others, which enables Wellsphere to provide information that is personal and relevant to over 6 million visitors a month.

Feel free to visit our Health Blogger Network at http://www.wellsphere.com/health-blogger, where you can apply to join. Or just email me at hua [at] wellsphere [dot] com.

Have a great day!
Hua
Director of Blogger Networks