Sunday, April 4, 2010

7 Month Update

It's been awhile since I've posted, so I figured it was due time. If you follow me on Facebook or on my BabyCenter board, you may know a lot of what's been going on. But I didn't want to leave out my few but faithful blog followers. And, of course, I still want to document everything that's going on in Josiah's life.

Since last posting, my baby boy has turned 7 months old (March 22nd). His 6th month was the best one yet, and I suspect that things are only going to get more and more fun! He has such a little personality now. He's still the happiest baby on the block, and the things he learns each day still continue to amaze me. He's becoming more and more vocal everyday. He babbles more often throughout the day saying, "Ah-da-da-da. Da-de. Da-de. Ah-da-da-da." As of yesterday, my mom is convinced that Josiah has also started to say, "Nana" as well. I think she's just hearing what she wants to hear, and I... I refuse to acknowledge that he says anything else before "Momma". :-) In addition to his vocabulary, Josiah has also begun to expound upon his ability to make sounds. He has learned how to make clicking sounds with his tongue.

   

Sorry this video (taken April 1st) is sideways. I downloaded a video converter before, and I had used it to rotate my videos, but apparently my trial has expired. Until then, just turn your computer on its side... or tilt your head. Whichever you prefer.



The biggest milestone Josiah reached this month is CRAWLING!!! My baby boy took his first steps! He's been scooting and rolling and twisting and stretching his way anywhere his heart desires for the past month. I thought he would achieve crawling long before this, but I think that his ability to be completely mobile already made him in less of a hurry to actually use his hands and knees. He finally did it on March 29th.

 

While the past week has not been a prime example of it, the weather here is slowly getting sunnier. I've got the itch to get outside and enjoy God's green earth. And, while I'm out there, I've tried to take pictures of every second of it. I'll prove it!

           

In the midst of sunshine, rain, scooting, talking, and crawling, we have also dealt with a lot of sickness. My poor baby has had a cold 5 times in the last 7 months! At his 6 month appointment, we found that he had a double ear infection to accompany his runny nose and nasty cough. He took antibiotics for 10 days and seemed to recover quickly, returning to his normal self. Exactly a month after he got sick before, he was noticeably ill again. It started on a Monday with a runny nose and cough again, but by Thursday, he was clearly having a harder time breathing. It didn't appear that he was struggling to get oxygen, but his stomach was retracting and his breathing was really noisy with wheezing. We called the dr's office and made an appointment for the after hours clinic at 9pm. I won't go into a lot of detail, but we went to the very busy clinic and had a quick appointment with a family doctor who was rude and patronizing. Not a good experience! He diagnosed Josiah with wheezing and another ear infection, so he prescribed a stronger antibiotic and a nebulizer. In the following 12 hours, we faced much difficulty. In short, the pharmacy was closing at the time we arrived. They had to call the dr to re-write the prescription after he prescribed an adult's dosage of antibiotics. They only had half of the antibiotic we needed and didn't know how the nebulizer was supposed to work. The following day, we discovered that the pharmacy did have a nebulizer, but that the doctor had prescribed the medicine for it to the wrong pharmacy in the next town. It was transferred to the pharmacy we were using, and we were finally able to get it. I had to wait until the next Monday to pick up the rest of the antibiotic. $35 for a copay. $21 for the antibiotic. $70 for the nebulizer. And $7 for the nebulizer medication. $133 total!!!

After we started administering the nebulizer treatments, Josiah improved quickly, but he HATED it!!! Hated is an understatement. Most times we had to hold his arms down and his head still while he screamed bloody murder. And we had to do it every four hours! Most times I had to administer by myself too. So, I tried singing to him. I tried letting him play with toys. I tried putting on cartoons and encouraging him to watch them. I tried to do it when he was sleeping (the best solution of all, but not always possible). We made it through them, though.

 

Finally, I took him back to the doctor on April 2nd, to find that his ear infection is gone, but he is still prone to another infection because he still has fluid in his ear, and that his lungs sound great. So we don't have to use the nebulizer unless needed. Being that it's his first time, they won't diagnose him with asthma yet, but if he continues to have wheezing problems when he gets sick, he may have cold/allergy induced asthma. Most kids grow out of it, but it's nothing we need to worry about now anyway.

In the rest of our family news...

...Jesse has returned back to school after Spring Break. He is still working full-time and going to school full-time. He made 2 A's and a C last term. The C was an unfortunate misunderstanding where Jesse went to take his final and found out that it was already too late. Had he taken it, he would've gotten all A's. Instead, it brought his grade down to a C. He is taking an accounting class this term (and, at this point, believes that is what he will specialize in), is taking a math class, and taking a research writing class. It's a little harder this term than last, but he's making it.

...I have decided that I want to take some classes and get certified as a wedding and event planner. I can watch the DVD's at home and submit everything for my classes in emails. I can do it all on my own timing, which can be done in as little as 4 months or as long as 3 years. At this point in time, it is not required to have any kind of education for wedding and party planning. So having an education and certification definitely looks good and would make me feel much more prepared. I am comparing different schools and determining which payment plans and coursework would be the best for me. I'm really excited about it. I'm hoping to make it more of a career. I think that by the time I am certified, wedding season will be passed this summer, but I hope that I can establish more of a clientèle and business by next summer.

...I'm beginning to work on Josiah's first birthday party. It may seem like a while, but the next 4 1/2 months are going to go REALLY fast! When your mom is an aspiring party planner, you know it's gonna be big! I am planning a Dr. Seuss theme. I'll post pictures as things start coming together.

To end with, here are more pictures of my baby boy:

 
(Wearing Daddy's hat)

(We found him napping like this one day)



 

Happy Easter, everyone!

  

 

2 comments:

Marni said...

Adorable Easter pics!

Brittney said...

Could he get ANY cuter?? Seriously?:)