That's how it all began.
Kelly hosts a blogroll each Friday asking people to show some aspect of their life to everyone else, from their kitchen to their mission trips. And, today, she asked us to share how we met our husbands. I don't normally participate in Kelly's posts, simply out of laziness or feeling like it doesn't apply to me, but this week I couldn't resist. I love the story of Jesse and I falling in love, and I want to share it every chance I get. And, I was thinking that many people who read my blog now may have never heard it.
In the year 2000 (which sounded like one of Conan O'Brien's sketches in my head), I moved from Texas to Oregon. I was 15 and it was my sophomore year of high school. I had fought the idea of moving over 2,000 miles away to a place where I knew no one, but I knew that God wanted us here, and, so far, things were working out okay. I began attending the church my mom went to as a young girl. There I met Jesse. He was only 13 at the time, and aside from his boyish good looks, I didn't pay much attention to him.
Our youth group was small. There were the Core 8 of us who hung out all of the time and were the best of friends, and then there were several others who were always a part of our church, but drifted in and out of the main scene. The Core 8 consisted of myself and my brother, David. My two cousins: Ben and Sarah. Jesse and his brother, Michael. And, the youth pastors oldest son and daughter, Ryan and Jenny. Those of us who were not related (and the pickings were slim) all crushed on each other from time to time, but the idea of Jesse and I ever being together was one of the most ridiculous combinations of all. He was a total jock, and one of the most immature, goofiest guys I'd ever met. I, of course, was too mature for my own britches! I was coming out of any rebellious phase I'd ever experienced and was seriously wanting to settle down and develop a strong, intimate relationship with God. I was studious and reserved, and Jesse was my polar opposite.
The idea was so preposterous that Jesse and I would ever marry that by the time I was just out of high school, we started making a big joke of it. I remember distinctly realizing around mid-March of 2005, now as a sophomore in college and Jesse just getting ready to graduate high school, that he no longer fought my demands that we someday wed. It was then that the idea first came to mind, "Hmmm.... maybe us being together isn't such an odd idea..."
It was seriously a matter of weeks until we made things official. Once we both put down the facades and accepted our feelings, we were hooked. We began dating on March 23rd, 2005 and my life has never been the same since.

(Our first picture as a couple, just a few days after making it official- He was such a hottie!!!
Why is my hair orange, though?)

Oh, it wasn't all a cake walk. In fact, that's what makes our story our's. Being with Jesse was unlike anything I'd ever experienced. I was head over heels and had never felt as loved as I did with him. I was beautiful in his eyes, and we were absolutely convinced that we had found the one God had destined for us. But Jesse had some inner demons. He wrestled with his spirit and flesh, a battle of what he knew God wanted him to do and of what his flesh wanted to do. And when Jesse left that fall for his freshman year of college, he began the hardest part of his fight thus far. Surrounded by temptation at all turns, he pushed God away and, therefore, pushed me away (as his strongest source of accountability).
I was heartbroken. I watched the man I planned on marrying turn into someone I hated. He was horrible to me and it hurt. I clung to God as the only constant in my crumbling world. And, in the midst of it all, God told me to not give up on Jesse. I was more determined than ever that he was the one I was supposed to marry. And I knew that the guy he was right then was not who he truly was. So, I pursued. I pushed every button possible and Jesse hated me even more, but I wasn't quitting. I drove the hour and half drive to bring him home, just so he would go to church. I called him frequently even though most of our calls ended in yelling and tears. I did it because I loved him with everything in me. He knew that, but he just continued to push me away. I prayed everyday, though, and God kept a protective hand over him always.
By June 2006, Jesse realized he could no longer ride the fence between his Christian life and his school life. He was forced to choose sides. So, he came home to get things right, but still kept his distance from me. He was too scared of hurting me all over again. It wasn't until 6 months later that we finally started building up a friendship again. Jesse was struggling, though. He had left his dreams of college football and halted his education to come home... for what? He felt lost. I prayed and prayed for a way to encourage him and reveal to him what God intended for his life. And I felt like God spoke to me and told me to let Jesse read my journal. I had kept this throughout our entire dating relationship and break up. It had every loving thought and every fear and every prayer. But I made a copy of it all and gave it over to him. He read it all in one sitting.
It was a total break-through moment for him. He says he saw God's love all through it in the way I loved him. He had never experienced such unconditional love. And, he knew that I was the one he was supposed to be with. He had always known, but had tried to convince himself otherwise. So, after dating for 5 and 1/2 months and being broken up for nearly a year and half, we got back together. He knew that in asking me to go back out with him, he was really asking me to marry him. He first asked my brother for permission (as the primary male figure in my life, and one who had been angered by Jesse mistreating his sister) to date me again. At my brother's approval, we began dating on January 5th, 2007.

(Back together again- Jan 2007)
On February 12th, after asking my mom for my hand in marriage, Jesse and I spent a beautiful day at the coast ending in an engagement during sunset.


(Engaged!)
When he asked me if I'd marry him, my answer was, "ABSOLUTELY!" He says he wasn't even nervous because there was no way I was going to say no! After hugs and kisses and pictures, we prayed together, and offered up our marriage to God. In addition to His direction in all of the wedding planning, we asked God to teach us to love each other the way He designed, as a reflection of His love for us. And, we prayed that our marriage would always be a testimony to other people of God.
And then we made plans to get married just 4 and 1/2 short months later on June 30, 2007.

(Zoe and Jaydon as our flower girl and ring bearer, at just 3 and 5 years old)

(Trying to find the right dress... this one wasn't it)

(Getting fitted for his tux)

(My dad gave me away. Everyone who was there remarked about the look on Jesse's face when he saw me come down the aisle. He couldn't take his eyes off of me!)

(He kissed the bride, and we officially became Mr. and Mrs.)


(The best decision I ever made)
2 comments:
Your story is so beautiful - thanks so much for sharing!! It definitely made me cry a little:) You sound like such an amazing woman of God and I hope your husband knows just how lucky he is to have you. Hope you have a fabulous weekend together with your precious baby boy!
Beautiful story and a beautiful dress :)
We also prayed that our marriage would always be an example to others!
Post a Comment