Today we had Josiah's 1 year wellness check. He is 24 lbs, 4 oz (77%) and 30.75 in tall (70%). We discussed with Dr. Young how Josiah is now on whole milk full-time. He doesn't use a pacifier and never has. He only occasionally has a bottle, which we were encouraged to wean him from by 15 months old. He can eat anything we want to give him, but we should watch out for choking hazards. To add to this, we have pretty much stopped buying jarred food and are feeding Josiah whatever we eat, although trying to keep healthier options and a variety of food in mind. Dr. Young encouraged us to not have Josiah watch TV at all and to interact with him a lot and read to him a lot. He reminded me to be consistent with discipline and only say "no" once and mean it. We didn't discuss any milestones, developmental skills, or anything like that. They gave him 3 shots, including the MMR and chicken pox vaccines. I can't remember the 3rd one right now. I am an advocate of giving vaccines, believing that they do more good than harm and are intended to protect him from getting sick later in life. However, I was worried about these one because a lot of my online friends had babies who got fevers and rashes after these particular vaccines. However, Dr. Young just said some people do and some don't and it wasn't something I should worry about. Josiah did scream when given the shots, but got over it quickly and has been in a good mood so far, now 5 hours later.
He does have a double ear infection. We actually took him into the after-hours clinic yesterday before church after having a fever 2 days in a row that only was getting higher instead of going down with Tylenol. Now we have to consider if and when to get tubes in his ears. We already met with the Ear, Nose, and Throat doctor back in June and know the pros and cons of getting tubes, believing that it's probably the most beneficial thing for him now. However, many kids can go the whole summer without ear infections, and sometimes outgrow it by the next winter, so we decided to hold off and see if he could make it. He did good the whole months of June, July, and most of August, but this now makes his 6th double ear infection in 1 year, really even in 8 months! So, our next course of action is to find out how much our insurance covers and whether we should wait for the possibility of me getting a new job with better insurance. Once we know the cost and coverage, all we have to do is call and arrange the procedure and he'll be good to go.
In other developmental news, he has walked for months but just started standing up without assistance today. He is getting pretty sturdy on his feet and chooses to walk more than crawl. He is learning to climb and can pull himself onto the ottoman or couch and crawl down by himself. He's even tried to climb the rungs on the back of the chair. He tries to carry his toys everywhere. In fact, as I write this, he is playing with a truck that is meant to be pulled by a string. But, instead, is holding it in the air by the string and carrying it around. He has a little push stroller toy that he's walked with for months, but has recently learned to steer it around the room rather than just bump into things. He is still my cuddly little boy and loves his momma more than anything else- sometimes too much, but I try to appreciate it even when he's screaming and pulling at my pants because he wants to be held by me and only me. He babbles all of the time, but doesn't really say any words, other than dada, nana, and no-no. He shakes his head no too and seems to understand bye-bye, but doesn't wave. He seems a lot more expressive, letting you know when he wants most times. Finally, his 8th tooth is breaking through. Most of the time he does well with them, but this one is a tough-y.
Jobs & Finances
I have now applied for 5 jobs and have yet to hear back from any of them. I feel like I am extremely qualified for at least 3 of these, so I'm not sure why I haven't heard back, but I have prayed over all of my applications and am trusting in His timing and purpose. One of these jobs is for my old job as a secretary back at the hospital- the one I had before Josiah was born. I don't remember how much I mentioned in my previous post about it, but it started when my friend Camron (the one who got me the job the first time) told me that my job was going to become available again and asked me if I was interested. I was immediately, and Jesse and I both felt like it would be a huge relief on our financial stresses. And it was the director of the department who brought my name up, which made me feel really great about it. However, they didn't realize at the time that I was no longer on the payroll, since I was for some time after I quit, and the job had to be posted internally first. This opened up the position to everyone in the entire hospital to apply for, but I couldn't. Pretty much everyone involved thought that it was hopeless for me to get the job anymore. Certainly someone else would be qualified in the hospital. However, Camron texted me a few days ago and said that the job was now posted externally and that I should apply for it ASAP if I was still interested. Of course I was. Nothing else had come through in the past month and I know the job, am good at it, like the people there, make great money, and have excellent medical benefits. So, last Saturday I sent in my application and am now just waiting to hear back. It seems like common sense that I should be hired for the position. I wouldn't even need to be trained. But they can't promise me that and I have no idea who I'm up against. So I'm just praying and hoping and waiting...
In the meanwhile, we received our food stamp award letter, which was only $28 a month! Are you kidding me? That's not even $1 a month- it doesn't even provide for Josiah's meals! Stupid social support system. The people who are working hard and not making it get nothing, while the people who do nothing get a lot. It's aggravating, but I tell myself that every little bit helps. I also sold my car. I ended up getting an email from the lady who sold me my car 2 years ago. She loved it and didn't want to sell it then, but was leaving the state and had to. Now she's back in town and was thrilled to have the opportunity to get it back. I ended up selling it for $200 less than my minimum offer, but needed the money right away. Then we went car shopping. I called several people about their ads on Craigslist, but only a couple came through and weren't what we wanted. Then we stopped at a dealership and found a car at the higher end of our price range. It was in great condition, though, and newer than we anticipated. The price, high miles, and being a stick shift were the only downfalls, but the good gas mileage and great condition and still being in our price range made it more favorable. I prayed about it and felt good about buying it. I just needed to learn how to drive a stick shift. We signed the papers, gave them all of our money, and drove away. I practiced that evening learning to drive it. Jesse and I traded cars today since I wasn't confident yet and then I practiced more tonight. However, I got REALLY discouraged with it and it was causing me so much anxiety that I traded spots with Jesse and had him drive the rest of the way home. I broke down crying, fearing that I made a big mistake in buying this car and feeling trapped in it since it cost almost everything we had. I'm trying to be patient and trust that I'll get the hang of it in time, but had intense buyer's remorse!
Finally, we contacted our Realtor about trying to sell our house and are anticipating a call this week to meet with her soon. If I get a different job, we can afford it just fine, but want to get in a better financial position no matter what, and certainly don't want to go into foreclosure before selling it.
Wedding/Party Planning
I've been making big strides towards building up my business. I have my website up and running. Everyday I'm adding more event experience to it. Have you seen it? Are you subscribed to it yet? Do you have any advice? I was able to create a separate blogger account/email address, become a joint administrator with myself, transfer ownership to my new account name and disconnect the link between this blog and that one. (Thanks Marcia for the advice about it.) Now, everyone that has followed me for the past 2 years can still follow my event planning business, but potential customers of my business don't necessarily need to see all of my personal information. I've been trying to spread the word around that I'm doing this business. I am also trying to find out information about if I need a small business license or anything to work professionally around here. So far, I do have an opportunity to help my best friend Jolyn's friend plan a vow renewal service next year. And I have a possibility to help some friends plan birthday parties for their kids coming up in the next few months and year. If I do get a full-time job, I'm hoping to pay my way through school to still be certified. I think the extra education, experience, and credentials will help me do better in the career. I'm optimistic about the work that has been done so far and anticipating what's to come.
I think that covers the biggest news in our lives. I'll end with some more pictures of the most important thing in this blog, my big baby boy!
(on his birthday)
(So hard to get a picture when he's walking so fast at you.)
(So much drool!)
1 comment:
I am so inspired by you, Mandy.
You're not just talking about things, but actually taking action - I love it!
I'm praying that you get the job of your dreams (did I come across too glib in my posts about my job situation? I can take it - tell me :)) and that you'll get out of financial bondage soon. And yes, $28 buys one bag of nappies for us - nothing else.
Can I be bold and just check that you're tithing? (tell me to butt out if you don't want to discuss)
Driving a manual car is going to feel like 2nd nature soon - just keep persevering!
Josiah is SUCH a gorgeous boy (should I say handsome?) and so clever walking and doing all sorts of cute things!
Post a Comment