I saw Dr. Haugen today for my annual exam and to discuss trying to conceive our next baby. I am 110% sure that I made the right decision in switching OB's. I LOVE Dr. Haugen so much more than I ever liked Dr. York. In fact, it's more a matter of not really liking one and loving the other. I also really liked his nurse that helped examine me today. Dr. Haugen said, as far as just getting pregnant, that there was no reason for me to be re-tested for infertility this time and that he'd be happy to give me Clomid today given my history of regular periods, unexplained infertility, and getting pregnant so easily on Clomid before. He said he wouldn't push it on me but would be glad to give it to me when I'm ready. If I still wasn't pregnant after about 3 cycles of Clomid, then we might do some more testing to see if there were any underlying problems. HOWEVER...
When they checked my blood pressure as part of my normal exam, it was fairly high. I've never really had high blood pressure before I came for my last appointment at 39 weeks with Josiah. My blood pressure was really high that day and they had to do a c-section to deliver him that same day. After he was delivered, my blood pressure was monitored closely and then I went home. And I don't think it's been checked since. So I don't know if today was an isolated incident or if it's gone unnoticed for a year and half. It was checked 3 times prior to my exam and once after. It went down slightly but not really significantly enough. Dr. Haugen said he wouldn't put me back on birth control, but that he wouldn't encourage a pregnancy right now with Clomid. Instead, he recommends that I see my family doctor (since this is out of his realm of knowledge) and get my blood pressure checked out. He said diet and exercise are the obvious answers to lower my blood pressure, but that that can take awhile to show results. Medicine is my other possible option, and they'd put me on a medicine that would be safe during pregnancy as well. I'm a little concerned about being 26 years old and on medication for my blood pressure. So, I have decided to follow through with consulting my family doctor, but in the meanwhile, I want to work on my diet and exercise for the next 4 months. (4 months because that'll be one year of not conceiving and qualifying for the definition of secondary infertility.) I won't be preventing pregnancy still, but I won't go on Clomid to induce pregnancy until my blood pressure is examined.
I wasn't really expecting these results today, but am overall fine with it. I wasn't trying to rush a pregnancy or hoping for Clomid today, so I'm fine waiting. I just wanted to know my options. I'm a little concerned about my blood pressure, but think that it's fixable. So, I have some direction and will move forward, trusting that it'll happen in God's time, Clomid or no Clomid, high blood pressure or not.
2 comments:
Wow, sounds like a very informative appointment!! Glad to hear you have an action plan for #2 - that's SO exciting:) I think you have the right idea on the medication for blood pressure too...no need to take such a drastic measure til you've gone the natural route. I wish you much success!
I totally know what you mean about not wanting to be on a med for blood pressure. I've been taking between 5-6 pills a day for the past few years to control my epilepsy. Its scary to think that I will probably be on these pills for the rest of my life, but if that's what it takes to keep me seizure free, then I'll do it.
Diet and exercise will help all kinds of things, possibly even your chances at getting pregnant. Sounds like you have a good plan in mind. : )
Post a Comment