Using items that I think are cute, have seen an interest in, and believe I could make and sell successfully, I invested in the materials, made up a bunch of each for my inventory, and have started to advertise the things I've made. I've received a lot of positive feedback on my items and think I'm on the right track. I've also been reading a book on selling crafts and how to make a successful business of it, and it seems like I've been doing it right so far. I wanted to share a bit of what I've been doing and see what my blogging friends think of it all.
The sock monkeys started off as gifts for my friends for Christmas, but so many people saw them and wanted more that it became my first business venture. I was selling them really cheaply, at $10-15, but found that the demand was too high and I was overwhelmed by the amount of work for this price. Just FYI, it costs me anywhere from about $4-10 to make them, and I can do it in a matter of hours, minus whatever it takes to customize it for the person if needed (sometimes that can be easy and sometimes extremely complicated to execute). They sell for upwards of $30-50 on etsy. So I was thinking of selling them for $20 plain or $25 customized on etsy. That seems a little steep for friends and family members, so I've been doing $5 cheaper for people I know personally. What do you think? What would you be willing to pay?
Then, I decided to start making coffee cozies. I'm not a coffee drinker, but saw how popular these were on etsy or other craft sites. And they are pretty easy to make. Furthermore, in my area, people are BIG coffee drinkers AND are very conscience of recycling and the environment. So I thought there was a market for it here. Each one costs me about $1 to make, and I can do many in one day. I compared them to others on etsy, and mine seem to be higher quality since I not only use a printed fabric, but also a thin layer of batting, and a layer of fleece, as well as an elastic tie and button (rather than others who use 2 layers of fabric, with or without batting, or use fleece without batting, or use velcro). Most, like mine, sell for $3-5 on etsy. I was going to start off at $5, but wondered if it was better to do a little less. I also wondered how I can get people's attention when they are just searching to notice that mine are higher quality than others. Any thoughts on the price or on getting people to notice mine over someone elses?
None of these are on my etsy shop yet, because I've been trying to build up my inventory first. However, I have some blankets for sale, and 100% of the proceeds are going to the Lane Pregnancy Support Center. This is a Christian organization who helps people in crisis situations receive advice for alternatives other than abortion, receive clothes for moms and babies, diapers, formula, etc., referral to any legal or counseling services needed, and spiritual encouragement. My family began raising money last Christmas (in lieu of gifts for each other) for families in need. We were so encouraged by what God did in these situations that we decided to carry it on throughout this whole next year. The Pregnancy Support Center is our first outreach. My mom made these, and I can tell you that my craftiness originated with her! Check them out: http://www.etsy.com/shop/mrspeterson07.
And this is what we've collected so far...
And I appreciate all of the advice and support!




1 comment:
Mandy, I love all your stuff.
Sock monkeys - $25 customised or not (you'll find a % of your customers will want customised, some not - when you've got more stats (!) you can reprice)
Coffee cozies - never heard of them. Must be an American thing but they're cute as anything. $5.
I personally feel all the burp cloths are too expensive, everywhere. Is it $5/ $7 for one? But that's me. WHatever it costs you, double it!
Okay, so to start selling, first set up your etsy shop and put whatever you make on there. Then you could do some giveaways and if you want, I will host one a month for you. They enter by coming to your site and then back to mine by telling us what their favourite item is (your store gets exposure and so does my blog). Just a start. I am a HUGE fan of etsy (as you've seen) as I love all things handmade.
Now do you make bags???? :) Bags are my most favourite things in the world and if you could make different shaped little ones to organise your handbag, then I can do giveaways and review them on my organising blog (over 1000 regular readers).
How does all that sound?
P.s. I'm proud of all you're doing :)
Post a Comment