Thursday, June 23, 2011

20 Weeks- Ultrasound, Pics, and Gender Reveal!!!

Pregnancy Highlights:
How Far Along: 20 Weeks, 2 Days
Size of baby: a banana, or about 10 inches long from head to toe
Total Weight Gain/Loss: I was 1 lb down from my pre-pregnancy weight 2 days ago. 
Maternity Clothes: All that I wear for pants, except for a few pairs of yoga pants here and there. I'll wear any shirts, but maternity shirts seem to show it off just a little bit more.
Gender: You'll have to keep reading to find out...
Movement: I have been feeling the baby move a lot more! I even saw my belly move for the first time while waiting for my ultrasound. 
Sleep: I'm having a harder time sleeping on my side because it makes my hips hurt. I try not to sleep on my back unless I'm propped up high, but that's not always easy. And I'm really missing sleeping on my stomach now, but can't do that at all. If I even get close, I feel sick to my stomach.
What I miss: Not throwing up every morning and enjoying sleep (especially on my stomach)
Cravings: Fruit, for sure, and spicy foods, especially the spicy chicken sandwich from Wendy's.
Symptoms: The sickness is the same. Nothing new. I haven't felt faint anymore. I know what I was doing to bring it on and I've been trying to make sure I take care of myself, but I did ask my dr about it. He said that it's normal for where I'm at in my pregnancy. The first trimester, your blood pressure is usually normal for you, but in the 2nd trimester it can drop and cause the symptoms I was feeling. He told me to stand up slowly when I'm sitting and to stay hydrated and eat frequent snacks and don't get too exhausted.
Best Moment this week: Finding out the baby's gender and celebrating with a big party. 

I decorated my entire house in pink and blue: 
   
   
I painted my nails and tye-dyed my shirt:
 
Team Boy:

Team Girl:

We had cupcake pinatas. Each person went to the pinata that corresponded with their vote, they all pulled the strings (which didn't work), broke open the pinata, and searched for the one candy bar in each pinata that said "It's a boy" or "It's a girl". Video Here

It's a BOY!!!!

Me with my best friend. She's 8 months pregnant and I'm 5 months. (Both boys!)

Josiah says, "What? I'm having a baby brother?!?!"

We decided at the last minute to change the baby's name. We had planned on Judah Michael (with the middle name being after Jesse's brother). However, Jesse didn't feel the same confidence he had with Josiah that Judah was the perfect name. We went back to our other 3 options, and decided on Micah James (Micah and Michael are derived from the same origin, so that covers Jesse's brother in a roundabout way, and James is after Jesse's dad). (Josiah's middle name is after my dad and brother, so that covers both siblings and dads on both sides.)

Here are the ultrasound pics:
Micah's profile:

Footprint:

And boy parts:

The ultrasound tech said Micah is measuring perfectly. His leg bones were measuring at 20 weeks exactly on that day when I was 20 weeks pregnant exactly. His whole body is measuring right on at 19 weeks, 6 days. His heart, his brain, his kidneys, and his umbilical cord blood flow all look great. My placenta is actually not in the way, as I thought it might be. But he does seem calmer than Josiah ever was, which could be why I didn't feel him much. We couldn't get any great face shots because his arm was in front of his face the whole time, but we'll be back for sure at 30 or 32 weeks for a growth ultrasound since I have a history of high blood pressure. So I'll get to see my baby boy again soon enough.

It took me a little bit to get used to the idea of a 2nd boy. In all honesty, I REALLY wanted a baby girl. And I was struggling with the fear that I may never get one, since we're not certain if we'll have more kids, and there's no guarantee that our 3rd kid would be a girl either way. I was worried that I would never get that dream, but I realized a few things. I absolutely believe God designed Josiah for us and we couldn't ask for a more perfect kid. Why would I believe any differently for Micah. Maybe I'm supposed to be a mom to all boys? Maybe Jesse needs boys? Maybe we just need 2 boys for now, but can still have a girl later? Maybe Josiah needs a brother? Maybe it's all about what God is planning to do in Micah's life apart from us? And, on top of all that, how in the world can I be sad that my baby is a boy rather than a girl when I know how long I waited for both boys and how many other people would give anything to be in my shoes?! So, I'm embracing my baby boy and getting excited to meet him.

I started registering for baby items yesterday. I know it's early and my list will probably change long before my baby shower, but I wanted an idea of what I need and want, and now that I know he's a boy, i can pick gender-specific items. I'm finishing up the prep work for my best friend's baby shower this Saturday, will begin all of the work for Josiah's 2nd birthday coming up in August, and in the meanwhile start helping my mom with plans for my baby shower in September, all before Micah's arrival in November!

1 comment:

Brittney said...

Aww, I am SOO thrilled for you!!! I completely understand wanting a baby girl though..I have a girlfriend who felt that same way and had a second boy too. But you know what?? She feels so extremely blessed with her two boys now and her sons are very close and just ADORABLE together. They are 3 and 1. Her experience makes me want another boy. My hubby wants a girl next time but I want a boy!! And you know what they say about boys and their Mamas..you are going to be the center of Josiah's and Micah's universe!! I love the name Micah too - it's adorable. Loved your party ideas also. I had so much fun watching your video!!! Praying your sickness ebbs soon though and so sorry about your sleeping:( HUGS and best wishes for the rest of your pregnancy!! Loving all your cute updates:)