Thursday, June 9, 2011

18 Weeks

Pregnancy Highlights:
How Far Along: 18 Weeks
Size of baby: a bell pepper, or about 5.5 inches long
Total Weight Gain/Loss: At my dr's appt last week, I was up 2 lbs from before but still down 4 lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight. It was right after lunch, though, so even those 2 lbs might have been my food baby. My scale at home is basically staying the same. I'm sure as I enter the halfway mark, I should start slowly gaining more and more.
Maternity Clothes: I just got a whole box of new clothes from my cousin! I, for sure, need maternity pants. And, as summer is approaching, I need more shorts or capris that are comfortable. But for shirts, I'm pretty well set. I can still wear normal tank tops or shirts, and the maternity shirts are great because they are built to be roomier and show off the bump a little more.
Gender: June 21st is the big day!!! Woo!!! That's just 12 more days!!! I am trying to arrange a BBQ that night to reveal the big news to everyone, but since it's a Tuesday, it's not ideal. If it doesn't work out, we'd wait until July 1st to have the BBQ because there's a lot going on between those days and it wouldn't work out any earlier. My plan is to have a BBQ at our house, have everyone wear pink or blue depending on their guess, have decor for both genders, and then reveal the news with pinatas! Most people use cake or cupcakes that are dyed the right color to announce it. I wanted something different, and found these adorable cupcake pinatas in both pink and blue. They are pull string pinatas, so everyone can grab a string and pull, and then there will be confetti and candy that comes out to announce the news. I was thinking Almond Joys or Mounds because, as you know, "Almond Joys have nuts. Mounds don't..." I may find other candies that also hint at the gender too.
Movement: I just felt it for the first time last Thursday. I was getting worried because not only had I not felt the baby (when I felt Josiah weeks earlier), but my belly was also measuring smaller. I knew that the placement of the placenta, the activity level of the baby, gas/bloating, what I ate, and where the baby was positioned could affect both of those things. I just hadn't heard my baby's heartbeat in a month and feared that something could've gone wrong. But not only did I hear the heartbeat that day, but I began to feel little movements too! Finally, we're getting to the fun stuff!!!
Sleep: I've been sleeping better overall, but have wanted to sleep on my back and stomach and have trouble not doing that. So, I toss back and forth all night between both sides. 
What I miss: Not throwing up every morning and enjoying sleep
Cravings: Fruit, for sure, and spicy foods, especially the spicy chicken sandwich from Wendy's.
Symptoms: I still throw up every morning. I've also been trying to watch my blood pressure because I have a history of it spiking really high (which it was when I went into my dr's appt, probably due to nerves about the health of my baby). However, I've also been having symptoms of low blood pressure. It usually comes on when I'm shopping or doing something else "strenuous" like carrying Josiah or cleaning up. I get clammy/sweaty, feel a little sick, and need to sit down or I feel like I might pass out. I am always fine within minutes if I just take time to cool down. I am planning on talking to my dr at my next appointment to see if it's possible or likely that my blood pressure is swinging between the 2 extremes.
Best Moment this week: Going to the dr's office, hearing my baby's heartbeat immediately (especially bc I was worried) and scheduling my ultrasound (and subsequently planning the reveal party!)!!!

2 comments:

Marcia (123 blog) said...

i can't believe you're still throwing up daily :)

Brittney said...

18 weeks and June 21st already?! Craziness!! So, so excited for you!! Sorry to hear about your morning sickness. I can relate because I was sick the first six months of my pregnancy..and boy were they a LONG six months!! Hoping yours decreases or vanishes completely soon. I'll be praying for that!! Take care, sweet friend..I can hardly wait to hear what you're having!!